Online & Mobile Banking Security Tips
As part of an ongoing effort to highlight safe online banking strategies, the FDIC released two cybersecurity brochures aimed at consumers and business customers of financial institutions. The brochures include tips to help users protect and maintain their computer systems and data. We encourage customers to review the brochures.
West Suburban Bank takes great care to safeguard the security of your online banking and mobile banking transactions with us. As our customer, you can help further protect your online banking and mobile banking experience. You can protect your confidential information and prevent online fraud and identity theft by following the suggested guidelines below.
Online Banking Security Guidelines:
All Authorized Users should sign-off after every Service session; however, online sessions will automatically end after ten (10) minutes of inactivity. This is to protect you in case you accidentally leave your computer unattended after you log-in.
You should carefully select a Passcode that is hard to guess:
- Special characters may be used to increase security.
- Do Not use dictionary words. The Help link within the Service will offer tips on choosing a secure Passcode that you can remember.
- Keep your Passcode safe.
- Memorize your Passcode and do NOT write it down.
- You should also change your Passcode occasionally, such as every ninety (90) days.
- A Passcode should be changed immediately if you suspect that your Passcode has been compromised. This can be done at any time from the User Services menu after you log on to the Service.
- Do not store passcode(s) within electronic files that are stored in your computer nor other storage services such as Google Docs, Onedrive or other file-sharing services.
- The security of public computers (e.g. in a library, or Internet cafe) cannot be assured; therefore we recommend that you refrain from accessing the Service on a public computer.
- Routinely scan your computer, servers and electronic media using a reliable virus detection product. Undetected or unrepaired viruses may corrupt and destroy your programs, files and even your hardware. Additionally, you may unintentionally transmit a virus to other computers.
- Use a firewall product (hardware and/or software), especially if you have a broadband Internet connection such as DSL or cable modem.
- Periodically update your computer operating system and browser for critical security related patches. We recommend use of the most current non-beta, fully patched, versions of Internet browsers for accessing the Service.
Mobile Banking Security Guidelines:
When using a mobile device to access your bank accounts via mobile banking, the following security precautions are recommended.
- Configure your phone to automatically lock after a short period of inactivity and require at least a six-digit code that is not easily guessed to unlock your phone.
- If your phone supports it, use a reliable virus detection product.
- Some mobile phone services can remotely erase all information on a phone if it is lost or stolen. This type of service is recommended in the event the mobile phone used for mobile banking is lost or stolen.
- Keep your mobile phone in a safe location.
- If you change your mobile phone number or your phone is lost/stolen, notify West Suburban Bank immediately.
- Frequently delete text messages received from us, especially if they contain account information.
- Do not modify the operating system on your mobile phone (i.e. “Jailbreak” or “Root” your phone). This activity can weaken the security of your mobile phone.
Downloading mBanking Apps
West Suburban Bank provides the online banking Apps for Apple iOS smartphones and tablets, Android tablets and smartphones as well as for Kindle devices. We provide these Apps for your use by posting them for download within the following App Stores: iTunes, GooglePlay and Amazon. For your convenience the App Stores can be accessed by using the links on our mobile banking web page. These App Stores are the only sites where bank approved Apps are available. Any other websites where Apps appear to be representative of West Suburban Bank should not be used as a source for download. West Suburban Bank can be contacted at (630) 652-2000 for any questions regarding where to locate our approved App for your device. iTunes, iPhone and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. iOS is registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license. © 2015 Google Inc. All rights reserved. Android™ and Google Play™ store are a trademark of Google Inc. Amazon Appstore, Kindle and fire are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.